– Spermonde Archipelago is a group of islands spread out along Makassar, South Sulawesi.
– These islands are rich of biodiversity, such as Clown fish (Nemo), anemones, nudibrach, sharks, dolphins, and colourful reefs.
– Most of all islands are atol. Some of those islands are;Samalona Island, Kodingareng Keke Island, Kapoposang Island, Lanyukan Island, Kodingareng Lompo Island, Barang Lompo Island, Barang Caddi Island, Kayangan Island, Lae-lae Island, Badi Island, and many more.
– The best time to visit this archipelago is May-September (east Moonson).
The islands can be reached by traditional boat from Makassar, South Sulawesi, Indonesia. Just go walk to the street in front of Fort Rotterdam, then you’ll find traditional pier to pick you up to the Island with those traditional boat.
How To Get There
Routes: Sultan Hasanuddin Airport – Makassar Downtown – Spermonde Islands
1. From Jakarta (purple line)/Surabaya (Green Line)/Jogja (yellow line)/Bali (blue line)/Balikpapan (turqoise line)
Almost all domestic flights are available from Jakarta (CGK) and other big cities to Sultan Hasanuddin Airport, Makassar/Ujung Pandang (UPG). Then look at number 3&4 below.
2. From Kuala Lumpur (red line)/Singapore (pink line)
There are several international flight to Makassar. Airasia has opened flight from Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Sultan Hasanuddin Airport, Makassar/Ujung Pandang (UPG). International flight from Singapore to Makassar is operated by Garuda Indonesia. Then look at number 3&4 below.
3. From Sultan Hasanuddin Airport, Makassar/Ujung Pandang (UPG) to Fort Rotterdam
– By Taxi: it is fast (45 minutes) but little bit expensive (Rp80.000-100.000)
– By Public Transportation: you need about 2 hours by using public transport, but it is much cheaper. First, take motorcycle rent or called “ojek” from Airport (A) to the main street (Rp10.000). Second, take some blue public transport car called “pete-pete” to Terminal Daya (B) (Rp5.000). Third, take some “pete-pete” again to Karebosi (C) (Rp4.000). Fourth, use pedicab or called “becak” to reach Fort Rotterdam (D) (Rp15.000).
4. Fort Rotterdam to Spermonde Archipelago
Usually, the boat rental owner will call us once we walk in front of Fort Rotterdam. The boat rental cost is between Rp270.000 – Rp2.000.000 a day. Just bid it.
There are some guesthouses in the island cost from 150.000 to 250.000 a night. Alternatively, you can stay at Makassar, there are so many guesthouses/hostels/hotels ranged from Rp75.000 to the highest rate you want. I suggested you to stay in hostels along Jampea street, it is little bit cheaper and near from the pier.
– The Islands